Friday, November 13, 2009

Alli's New Accessory


Today! Day 3 and doing much better. My cute Visiting Teaching partner made her some bows that we could attach with velcro. She even made her a John Deere bow.

The first day wearing her helmet. I was trying to get a picture of her crying but when I pulled out the camera, she stopped crying and started smiling. Little Turkey!

After it was off

The cast

They made a plaster cast of head head. She hated it!



Her head will be measured every 4 weeks

Before being fitted for her helmet
Alli was recently diagnosed with plagiocephaly
which is basically an asymmetrical head. She has a flat spot on the right side of her head which has caused her eye sockets and ears to no longer be alligned. After intense occupational therapy along with intense positioning and tummy time, the OT and Dr. feel that her head is not reshaping itself fast enough (this only works while the skull and sutures are still soft) so they reccommended putting her in a special helmet that will reshape her head as it grows to prevent future problems (TMJ, headaches, balance) and prevent surgery later. This process takes about 4 months wearing the helmet 23 hours a day, sometimes more, sometimes less (hopefully less).


6 comments:

  1. Awesome helmet! I'm jealous! Glad to hear she is getting use to it. Four month will fly by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good ideas to add the bows. Think on the bright side of the issue... if she hits her head there wont be any damage! Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. gosh i needed one of those when i was little not for the same reasons but i sure got myself into a lot of doctors and casts from my excellent accidental skills!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness...she's such a trooper! You guys are so awesome and positive. She's adorable and perfect and she's lucky to have such amazing parents and family. We love the accessories, too, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you dont know me, but I'm a friend of Julie Evan's. She refered me to your blog to check out Alli's cute new accessory! I hope you dont mind. My daughter has actually just been refered to a neuro surgeon to look into helmet therapy as well. I'm just wondering if you would be willing to answer a few questions for me. I dont know much about it and obviously have a lot of questions! I'm just wondering about what all the process entails and how long it takes etc. You can check out my blog (jordonandterra.blogspot.com) or e-mail me at terrabeus@gmail.com if you have some time to answer a few questions. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, this is katie searle, I was excited to find your blog. Looks like you guys are doing great. Hope things go good with your baby. She is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete